Director of Product Management
US Virgin Islands
Director of Product Management
ATN International (NASDAQ:ATNI) provides critical communication services and alternative power generation, primarily to under-served U.S. and international markets. Through a combination of strategic and organic investments, ATN has achieved a long track record of bringing needed technologies, infrastructure and solutions to often over looked markets, while consistently delivering strong returns to its investors. Through its telecommunications operating subsidiaries in the U.S., Bermuda and the Caribbean, ATN provides wireless and wireline connectivity to residential and business customers, including a range of mobile wireless solutions, local exchange services, cable-TV services and broadband internet services. ATN has grown these businesses organically and through an active and successful M&A program, focusing on providing an attractive alternative to larger carriers, offering differentiated services that satisfy the needs of underserved customers, making significant and ongoing investments in network quality and capability, and promoting an entrepreneurial culture across our companies.
In 2016, ATN acquired the Innovative companies, which currently provide telephone, broadband, cable and wireless services in the USVI along with cable services in the BVI, and combined the USVI Innovative companies with ATN’s existing USVI Choice wireless operation. Since that acquisition, ATN has brought in a new senior management team and has invested substantially in upgrading network, services and customer care – and will continue to do so.
The USVI Director of Product Management will report to the Chief Marketing Officer, USVI, and will be responsible for driving the offer management framework for the company’s Virgin Islands operations. This position is “market-facing” as well as “internally-facing”; the Director will not only formulate new service offerings and play a central role in communicating compelling value propositions to the sales organizations, channels and business partners, but will also catalyze implementation of such offerings end-to-end within the organization (i.e. from contracting, to fulfillment, support and billing). The Director of Product Management will establish the product management function as a key source of competitive advantage for the company.
The Director of Product Management will be responsible for exploring new technologies and services, developing business case rationale for potential offers, ensuring technical and commercial feasibility, mapping service delivery approaches, defining offer positioning and developing go-to-market strategies.
The overall purpose of this role will be to provide the direct and indirect sales operations of the company with new and innovative offers that anticipate and deliver on customer needs, grow revenues, attract new customers and increase customer usage.
The key roles, objectives and challenges of this role will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Customer Needs Assessment: Working with leadership and commercial staff, develop a comprehensive assessment of the market conditions: customer segments, motivations and loyalty criteria, competitive offers and capabilities, etc.
- Value Proposition: Develop compelling customer value propositions, with positioning messaging, to differentiate and enhance new product and service experiences.
- Business Case: Develop the business case and plan for new offers, including market and economic justifications.
- Roadmap Planning: Lead development of the offer roadmap for the USVI subsidiary, working with local and ATNI leadership, and various stakeholder teams, to chart the vision and plans for delivering compelling customer value, competitive advantage and targeted financial results.
- Project Management: Play a driving role in the coordination of any and all activities necessary to set up the systems and processes needed to operationally support new product offerings. Plan and execute towards aggressive but realistic roll-out schedules.
- Go-to-Market Planning: Draft compelling marketing campaign briefs and collaborate with both subsidiary teams and corporate staff to define comprehensive go-to-market strategies for new, innovative products and services.
- Cross-Functional Leadership: Be the advocate for product and service innovation. Collaborate with internal teams and external partners to optimize service offering performance in the market and achieve revenue, margin, market share, customer acquisition, retention and other strategic goals.
- Partner Relationships: Develop strong relationships with technology partners to continually understand market and technology evolution, position the company to optimally exploit industry trends, and identify new partnership opportunities.
- Competitive Analysis: Understand and anticipate the competition to define compelling strategies and offerings that lead to opportunity and advantage.
- Performance Management: Set objectives and develop measures for evaluating products and services, including profitability, market penetration and usage.
Qualifications and Experience:
The Director of Product Management will be an experienced and successful product management leader with 8-10+ years of experience in market-facing and/or other commercial roles. At least 4 of these years will have been spent in the telecommunications industry; substantial mobile and fixed communications services experience is desired. While not required, time spent in other roles such as sales, marketing or systems engineering is desirable, as well as time spent in other consumer-oriented businesses, including retail. Certification in project management is a definite plus.
By definition, the Director will possess a powerful blend of customer-centricity, commercial savvy, technical understanding and business discipline. He or she will be both comfortable and highly effective in the field.
The Director of Product Management will have the following qualifications:
- Proven ability to assess market position and customer needs, and use of that insight to develop an advantaged offering vision, roadmap and launch plan(s).
- Thorough working knowledge of product management processes with a demonstrable and referenceable track record in using these process skills to profitably develop and manage offerings throughout their lifecycle.
- Conceptual understanding of a broad array of consumer and commercial products and services, as well as the business models under which they may be brought to market (ranging from wired and mobile telecom services for voice, data, Internet and video; to managed, hosting and application services).
- Demonstrated customer focus, with an ability to understand, simplify and communicate benefits and advantage to customers, colleagues, channels and partners – and to be a catalyst in permeating a customer-centric mindset in all interactions.
- Nuanced understanding of enterprise, retail and indirect sales functions and processes.
- Strong ability to influence, coach, and lead cross-functional teams and champion new product ideas and concepts.
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills, and the ability to earn rapid credibility with diverse audiences through clarity of communications.
The Director of Product Management will be a vocal and outgoing leader in engaging and energizing various stakeholders on offer innovation. The Director will be known for responsiveness and will be in “high demand” by leadership at both local and corporate levels. The Director will also be incredibly proficient in building strong relationships across organizational boundaries, an essential characteristic in a holding company structure such as ATNI, which has aspects of both a corporate and private equity model.
Key adjectives that describe this individual will include: energetic & hard-working, strategic, focused, tenacious & resilient, highly organized, collaborative, resourceful, dependable and accountable.
The Director should:
- Be a goal-oriented, “biased for action” individual with a passion for winning in the market place.
- Have a strong internal motor and sense of urgency.
- Possess solid commercial instincts, backed up by an analytically rigorous mindset.
- Have strong organizational and planning skills.
- Be energized by the opportunity to make an outsized impact in a dynamic, entrepreneurial firm.
- Possess and foster the highest degree of integrity at all times.
- Have a good sense of humor
A Bachelor’s degree is require